What requires a building permit?

When there is any structural work and/or repairs to an existing dwelling; permits are required for including but not limited to the following:

  • Siding, Roofing and Windows, all repairs to exterior existing dwellings (with the exception of paint and gutters)
  • Additions
  • Interior Renovations (no permit required for painting)
  • Demolition or moving a structure
  • Insulation
  • Solar Panels (Building and Electrical permits required)
  • Tents 400 square feet and over
    • Please also contact Fire Department
  • Residential Sheds 200 square feet or over do require a permit (Residential Sheds under 200 square feet do not need a permit but must follow proper Zoning setbacks)
  • Signs (Permanent and Temporary)
  • Fence over 6 feet
  • Change of use / Change of Occupancy / Change of Tenant (Commercial)
  • Above and In-ground Pools (Building and Electrical permits required)
  • Decks and Porches
  • New Dwelling and / or Modular Homes
  • Pellet / Wood / Coal Stoves / Fireplace Inserts / Direct Vent / A/C
  • Replacements of Kitchen / Bath appliances (MA licensed person only)
  • Plumbing, Gas, Electrical and Mechanical work (pulled by MA licensed contractor only)

If you are not sure if your work will require a permit please, contact the office at: 508-336-2990

Show All Answers

1. I lease commercial property in Seekonk, do my tenants need to come to the Building Department before opening the new business?
2. My neighbors recently started some construction, should I have been notified before it began?
3. What if I want to change or amend my plans?
4. Can I have an inspector form the Town of Seekonk Building Department office do a home inspection for me?
5. Do I need a permit for a fence and what side do I face it?
6. Who can be issued a building permit?
7. How long is my permit good for?
8. How do I request an inspection?
9. What requires a building permit?
10. Why a building permit?
11. Does someone need to be home during an inspection?
12. Where can I see a copy of the Building Code?
13. How do I know what kind of license is required on a job?