Immediate Steps to Take
- Place fraud alert on your credit reports, and review your credit reports.
- You only need to contact one of the Credit Bureaus to place an alert, the company you call is required to contact the other two.
- Close the accounts that you know, or believe, have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- File a report with your local police department or the police department in the community where the identity theft took place.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
Read some of the precautions that you can take at our Internet Safety page.