About the Committee:
On November 18, 2019 the Town voted to accept Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 40, Section 8J, allowing the creation of a Commission on Disability of 5 to 13 members to be appointed by the Board of Selectmen. A majority of said commission members shall consist of people with disabilities, one member shall be a member of immediate family of a person with a disability and one member shall be either an elected or appointed official of the town. The terms of the first members shall be for one, two or three years, and so arranged that the term of one-third of the members expires each year, and their successor shall be appointed for terms of three years each. The commission may receive gifts of property, both real and personal, in the name of the town, subject to the approval of the Board of Selectmen, such gifts to be managed and controlled by said commission for the purpose provided in Massachusetts General Law.
|Commission on Disability|
|Members:||Five to Thirteen|
|Meeting Schedule:||As needed|
MGL Chapter 40, Section 8J
- Research local problems of people with disabilities;
- Advise and assist municipal officials and employees in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations that affect people with disabilities;
- Coordinate or carry out programs designed to meet the problems of people with disabilities in coordination with programs of the Massachusetts office on Disability;
- Review and make recommendations about policies, procedures services, activities and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of the town as they affect people with disabilities;
- Provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses and organizations n all matters pertaining to disability;
- Coordinate activities of other local groups organized for similar purposes.